For Enterprise rethinking its enterprise IT strategy, by investing less capital expense on its data center without compromising on their ability to respond to business and market needs. They have multiple data centers that they want consolidated.
Sanovi Cloud Migration Manager is the migration tool of choice, to help migrate production workloads to AWS. Sanovi’s product is used and adds value to each of the phases in Migration Life-cycle, by reducing time, effort and enabling scaling up to several hundred workloads. The various phases are:
- Identify business process and IT applications that are fit for migration. Conducted done jointly by the business and the IT teams, by taking stock of current IT infrastructure platforms and criticality of the application, to decide if that application should move to AWS Cloud.
- Discovery and Capture Application profile. Having identified the applications, Sanovi’s product is used to discover and capture application workload and interdependency. Most of their applications have three tiers that consist of a database tier, an application module tier and a web server tier. Sanovi’s flexible application representation allows for creating new tiers and connecting workloads across tiers to capture dependencies.
- Analyze Workload. Given that the key objective of moving to AWS is to contain cost, Sanovi’s workload analysis capabilities is used to understand infrastructure utilization, to help make appropriate choices on AWS
- Migration Planning Template Tool. Sanovi’s plan creation functionality is used to build a template migration plan. Sanovi has the provision to create a plan and associate various optimization knobs. Sanovi allows for choosing between optimizing performance and cost for each plan. Sanovi also allows their IT to create a custom plan, where they can tune infrastructure mapping to meet their needs. There can be three template plans, which can be used for the various application tiers. The Sanovi planner also rolls out a Bill of Material (BOM), that provides a clear view of the choices being made. By associating cost to each of the BOM line items, customer is quickly able to estimate the cost of running the application on AWS.
- Plan output and BOM. The next step is to associate various applications to a plan. One can start with the important application category and assign silver migration plan to these applications. The silver plan optimizes cost and is configured to run at “high” utilization. After reviewing the Bill of Material for each application, one can move to the next phase of migration.
- Migration Automation & Data Replication. Sanovi’s product has built in automation, that includes data replication between the production workload and target workload. With Sanovi, each application can be scheduled for migration at a suitable time. A dashboard view provides relevant information, with status of each migration job.
- Test & Cutover. After migration of each workload is complete, the final phase of migration is to test the target workload and cut over after tests are successful. To meet their business needs, the applications on AWS needs to communicate and exchange data with critical applications that are running in the enterprise data center. To enable this, the AWS network and security setting must be configured accordingly.
Sanovi Cloud Migration Manager is a perfect fit for migrating several hundred workloads saving time and without having to invest resources to learn AWS migration skills. There is significant time saving, by using Sanovi to analyze the workloads and built a plan that maximized the benifits of moving to the cloud.